Dental abrasion occurs when your tooth enamel is extremely sensitive and in a weakened state. If you are not careful, you can do further harm to your tooth enamel, even through the use of cleaning products. Dental abrasion typically arises due to the consumption of candy, which will be at the forefront of the Halloween season. Ask yourself the following questions to determine if you are ready to tackle dental abrasion this Halloween season:
– Are you avoiding snacking between meals?
– Are you visiting your dentist for routine examinations?
– Are you using toothpaste that has a bicarbonate and low abrasive fluoride in it?
– Are you avoiding brushing your teeth after consuming acidic foods and drinks, due to the increased risk of dental abrasion?
– Are you helping to stimulate salivary flow through the use of mouthwash and chewing sugarless gum?
– Are you eating and drinking foods that have a low acidic content?
– Does your toothbrush have soft bristles to prevent abrasion to your tooth enamel?
– Have you received your two bi-annual professional cleanings this year?
– Are you using a toothbrush that can comfortably fit in your mouth?
From everyone at John F. Freemon, DMD, PC, we wish you a safe, fun, and happy Halloween! To learn more, or to schedule an appointment with Dr. John Freemon, please call us to at 770-928-0871, or stop by our office in Woodstock, Georgia.