Time and food can both create havoc on your oral health and the color of your teeth. That is why teeth-whitening treatments today have become extremely popular. There are some foods and drinks that we consume in our everyday life that also add stains or discoloration to your teeth.
Your dentist, Dr. John Freemon in Woodstock, Georgia, is happy to help you keep your smile white and healthy. To help you at home keep your teeth in sparkling shape, here is a list of food and drink items that may cause stains or discolorations on your teeth:
- Various teas can cause your white teeth to fade and erode through your tooth enamel, including white teas.
- Curry can appear in many appealing dishes. The yellow pigment in curry contains a yellow coloring that can stick to your teeth and cause deep staining.
- Red wine is made from dark ingredients and includes high acidity that can stain your teeth. Furthermore, white wine contains higher acidity than red wine, which can cause more discoloration in a yellowish hue and damage to your teeth than red wine can.
- Sports drinks and sodas are high in acids and dyes that can darken and damage your teeth. Even sugar-free sports drinks can cause your teeth to become discolored and stained because of the dyes in the drinks.
- Coffee is made from dark beans that can quickly darken your teeth and cause them to stain.
- Balsamic vinegar is commonly known as a healthy addition to a diet when used correctly. However, the dark natural color can stick to your teeth causing stain damage.
- Berries contain many critical antioxidants and nutrients our bodies need. However, they also are deeply colored which can cling to your teeth causing them to lose their shine.
As you can see, there are many ways to stain or discolor your smile. Luckily, there are teeth-whitening treatments available if you seek help in maintaining a white smile. If you have questions about your oral health, or if you would like to talk to a professional, please call us today at 770-928-0871 to make an appointment. We look forward to helping you with your white smile.